Sevier County Courthouse
Sevier County’s courthouse, built in 1896, is historically significant, being the first courthouse in Tennessee listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Its spaces, however, were inadequate in size and in functional relationship to each other.
The task was to renovate, restore, and add to the building, providing adequate space for existing departments, adding space for new departments, and creating functional relationships while maintaining the integrity of the structure.
Existing 12”-18” interior masonry bearing walls limited organization of spaces in functional patterns. Construction of a reinforced concrete central core from basement through roof, with the existing tower secured to it, created a freestanding structural element. With the entire interior removed, the basement excavated an additional three feet and the roof removed, a new building was constructed within existing exterior brick walls.
Removal of “tacked-on” wooden entrance stairs, construction of a limestone podium and brick plaza with seating, and site landscaping completed the project.